404 page not found redirect

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by KarenD, May 12, 2017.

1. KarenD

KarenD New Member

I'm looking for a way to automatically redirect from the default 404 page not found page to a custom page (for a better user experience).

Can anyone advise me on a way to do this?

Thank you!

2. tyler

tyler Staff
    Staff Member

3. KarenD

KarenD New Member

Thanks, that worked. But if I change my mind and want to remove the .htaccess code ... how would I do that? I can't see it in the file manager.

Never mind! I thought I had checked 'view hidden files' on, but it was off. Sorry.

#3 KarenD, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
  4. Michel Bevan

Michel Bevan New Member

Hey karen,

Make a page called 404.html, containing whatever you need a visitor to your site to see when they attempt to visit a page that doesn't exist. Presently, transfer both to your site, and sort in an irregular, made-up address. You ought to, with any good fortune, see your custom blunder page rather than the conventional "Page Not Found" mistake message. In the event that you don't see that, then there is a decent possibility your server does not bolster .htaccess, or it has been impaired. I recommend the following thing you do is check rapidly with your server executive that you are permitted to utilize .htaccess to serve custom blunder pages.
    On the off chance that all went well, and you are currently seeing a custom 404 (page not discovered) mistake page, then you are well on your way to an entire arrangement of blunder records to coordinate your site. There are more blunders out there, you know, not simply missing pages. Obviously, you can likewise utilize PHP, ASP or CFML pages as mistake records - exceptionally valuable for monitoring blunders.