Creating New Word Press Site for Active Domain

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Cre8LAS, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Cre8LAS

Cre8LAS New Member

Hello. I signed up for Stablehost web hosting today for my father's website, which is already live utilizing another web hosting company, My Web Host. My father has asked me to recreate his site from scratch utilizing Word Press. We decided that we would like to change web host companies for the new site, which is why I signed up with Stablehost. The problem I am having is that I do not want to input Stablehost's DNS addresses into my domain registrar account until I have the new site ready to go live. Otherwise, it is my understanding, I would be overwriting the current page. I have been told to create a subdomain and use that domain for viewing and creating the new site, but when I do that the page is not found. I am assuming that this is because I haven't linked my domain registrar to the new web host, but as I said I want to make sure I'm not deleting/overwriting the current page in use. I'm not sure how to move forward. Do I have to utilize the old web host company and create a subdomain there to install Word Press and create the new site and then change to Stablehost only after I have completed the new site? Or do I have another option? FYI the current website that is live was not created with Word Press.

Thank you for your assistance.

2. Shomron David

Shomron David New Member

can you please link your old website, i am not support but if i can help why not.

3. Cre8LAS

Cre8LAS New Member

Thank you for the offer, but I found the solution to my problem the day after I posted this.

I actually sent a query to Stablehost customer service and they told me just to login to the terminal on my Mac and add a line to my hosts file that redirects me to a different location when I type in the URL. Once I complete the site then I just return to the terminal and delete this line. I didn't understand how to do this at first, but after looking it up online I was able to do it and it has worked for me. I am now able to view the working site on my computer when typing in the URL, while anyone else entering the URL on their computer will get the current active site.

4. Shomron David

Shomron David New Member

great have a good time on stable host , been on a lot of other hosting services, these guys are great.

take care.