Does data center location matter?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Jacklin, Sep 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jacklin

Jacklin Registered Member

I have a WordPress site that caters to South American people. Should I host it in South America, or hosting it in the US would be ok? Does the location of the data center matter? Hosting it outside of my country would hurt my sites performance or SEO?

Sorry if those are stupid questions.

Thank you

2. EqServers

EqServers Registered Member

Hosting your website with the same location servers is always more beneficial. If your target and hosting of website is US then it is always better to have a hosting that has data center located in US. That surely improves your websites performance.

Aduardo likes this.
  3. Aduardo

Aduardo Registered Member

Totally a valid question. There shouldn't be much of a latency issue if you host your site in the US to cater South America audience. Having said that, some people prefer to host the site locally in their country for other legal reasons, etc. You can always give it a try and if it doesn't work out to your expectations then look for a local host.

4. Sameerpatan

Sameerpatan New Member

Location of data center matters. Some websites use distributed CDNs or host in a country with best server infrastructure. After investing huge capital for businesses every association needs best they never compromise even with small consideration.

5. manoharparakh

manoharparakh New Member

server location is something that really matters. There are several points which we need to think while choosing a location like power source and connectivity. There are some more interesting points here Top Reasons Your Data Center Locations Matter

Tax Incentives
    Utility Costs
    Real Estate & Infrastructure
    Availability of Materials
    Labour
    Power Source
    Network Connectivity
    Proximity To Other Data Centers
    Telecommunications
    Natural disasters

6. Sia-e

Sia-e New Member

I also think that it's more beneficial if you opt for a hosting that is closer to your targeted audience. But, I think it's even better if you use CDN (like CloudFlare, for example) as it will bring your website's content closer to visitors from every region

7. Web Werks Data Centers

Former Google Search Quality expert Matt Cutts responds to the question “What impact does server location have on rankings?” by stating “We do absolutely try to return the most relevant results to each user in each country and server location in terms of IP address is a factor in that.”
    Thus, the location of Data Center does matter for your SEO atleast.

8. VPSnet

VPSnet Registered Member

Continent, yes.
    City/state/country, no.
    You can always give it a try and if it doesn't work out to your expectations then look for a local host.